Do you suppose I don't see how you are suffering, how this has torn open your wounds? But supposing that, as always, you don't think of yourself, what can it lead to?--to fresh suffering for you, to torture for the child.

If there were a trace of humanity left in her, she ought not to wish for it herself.

No, I have no hesitation in saying I advise not, and if you will intrust it to me, I will write to her.

" And Alexey Alexandrovitch consented, and Countess Lidia Ivanovna sent the following letter in French: "Dear Madame, "To be reminded of you might have results for your son in leading to questions on his part which could not be answered without implanting in the child's soul a spirit of censure towards what should be for him sacred, and therefore I beg you to interpret your husband's refusal in the spirit of Christian love.

No comments: