" Divorce is sanctioned even by our church.

And we see..." "It is allowed, but not in the sense..." "Alexey Alexandrovitch, you are not like yourself," said Oblonsky, after a brief pause.

" Wasn't it you (and didn't we all appreciate it in you?) who forgave everything, and moved simply by Christian feeling was ready to make any sacrifice? You said yourself: if a man take thy coat, give him thy cloak also, and now..." "I beg," said Alexey Alexandrovitch shrilly, getting suddenly onto his feet, his face white and his jaws twitching, "I beg you to drop this...to drop...this subject!" "Oh, no! Oh, forgive me, forgive me if I have wounded you," said Stepan Arkadyevitch, holding out his hand with a smile of embarrassment; "but like a messenger I have simply performed the commission given me.

No comments: