The first death I saw, and one I shall never forget--that of my dear sister-in-law--left that impression on me.

Just as you ask destiny why your splendid brother had to die, so I asked why that angel Lise, who not only never wronged anyone, but in whose soul there were never any unkind thoughts, had to die.

And what do you think, dear friend? Five years have passed since then, and already I, with my petty understanding, begin to see clearly why she had to die, and in what way that death was but an expression of the infinite goodness of the Creator, whose every action, though generally incomprehensible to us, is but a manifestation of His infinite love for His creatures.

Perhaps, I often think, she was too angelically innocent to have the strength to perform all a mother's duties.

No comments: