I need only to look at you with him, and I feel happy," she said, and something in the rough familiarity of that _with him_ touched Kitty.

"Come along with us to look for mushrooms, you will show us the best places.

" Agafea Mihalovna smiled and shook her head, as though to say: "I should like to be angry with you too, but I can't.

" "Do it, please, by my receipt," said the princess; "put some paper over the jam, and moisten it with a little rum, and without even ice, it will never go mildewy.

" Kitty was particularly glad of a chance of being alone with her husband, for she had noticed the shade of mortification that had passed over his face--always so quick to reflect every feeling--at the moment when he had come onto the terrace and asked what they were talking of, and had got no answer.

No comments: